Shopping Small in Old City
Shopping Small in Old City
Getting ready for Thanksgiving can take a lot of work: menu planning, grocery shopping, cooking, decorating, eating, more eating, and then sleeping. Lots of sleeping. But we all know that Thanksgiving weekend is no longer just about eating and spending time with friends and family. It’s the official kickoff for the holiday shopping season. And recently, there’s been an emerging trend for those seeking sanity over steals: forgo the Black Friday Madness and instead, shop on Small Business Saturday. The premise is simple: avoid the Black Friday crush and support your local small businesses. We couldn’t agree with this philosophy more! Thankfully, our neighborhood, Old City, has fantastic local small businesses! So, here are some of our picks for Small Business Saturday shopping in Old City.
For a Holiday Party Hostess Gift: ICI Macarons and Cafe, Tartes, and Terme di Aroma
- ICI Macarons and Cafe: Another new addition this year, ICI is a coffee shop with a little something extra. That something extra is oodles of delicious and beautiful macarons! Any hostess will love a selection of these jewel-colored treats! (Find them at 230 Arch Street)
- Tartes: A free standing structure on Arch Street is a unique sight, especially when it’s blush pink all over. What Tartes lacks in size (it’s a walk-up window only), they make up for in yumminess! Cakes, cupcakes, cookies, and tartes, of course, are all baked daily and would be welcome at any holiday get-together. Just remember that it’s cash-only. (Find them at 212 Arch Street)
- Terme di Aroma: This is a great option for lots of people on your holiday list (massage for your sweetheart, maybe?), but you’ll be surprised by the selection in their little gift shop. Grab a relaxing candle or some nice soap or lotion for the guest bath and you’ll be sure to be invited back by anyone! (Find them at 32 N. 3rd Street)
For the Kiddos (or Kiddos-at-Heart): Momo’s Treehouse and Artist & Craftsman Supply
- Momo’s Tree House: Opening early this year, Momo’s certainly has made a splash in Old City! They’re selection is decidedly more tailored than your standard toy store, with an obvious focus on creativity, science, exploration, and imagination. These are toys to inspire a child – and you might just feel it too. Plus, they have a Joke of the Day on their sidewalk sign! (Find them at 205 Arch Street)
- Artist and Craftsman Supply: Don’t be fooled! This place is huge! It’s got two levels of art supplies for any skill level, plus tons of kiddie crafts like sticker books, felt, and watercolors. They even have some old-school kid pleasers like big hunks of fool’s gold! (Find them at 307 Market Street).
For the Adventurous Spirit: Philly by Segway and Kaya Aerial Yoga
- Philly by Segway: Part of the Philly Tour Hub, Philly by Segway is the #1 Tour/Activity on Trip Advisor in all of Philadelphia! With four unique routes taking you all over the city (including a Mural Tour through Northern Liberties and a Cheesesteak Tour!), this is a great activity for anyone – as long as they’re over 14-years-old. And tours run all year long and gift certificates are available. You know you want to try one! (Find them at 229 Arch St.)
- Kaya Aerial Yoga: If you’ve got a gym rat on your gift list this year, Kaya’s got you covered. Aerial yoga gives you a deeper stretch, familiar poses done in new ways, and the joy of being on a jungle gym! A perfect combo of fun and sweat! (Find them at 225 Quarry Street)
For the Philly-Lover: Philadelphia Independents
Philadelphia Independents is one of those ultra-local spots in the city – not only are they a local business themselves, but they only offer goods made by Philadelphia residents. But don’t worry, it’s not the standard fare. They’ve got adorable (and hilarious) baby and kid items, cutey pretzel necklaces, screen-printed throw pillows, unique stationary, and lots more! (Find them at 35 N. 3rd Street)
We hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend and that you’ll check back with us soon! Happy Thanksgiving!